You will have an impact
Working for DNB, you will have an impact on financial stability and sustainable prosperity. As a banking supervision specialist business model and profitability risk, you will support DNB in understanding banks’ business models, assess the sustainability of banks’ profitability, and identify new and emerging risks. You will give shape to DNB’s ambition to be a leading forward-looking supervisor. Your expertise has a direct impact on the supervised banks and you will be contributing to their understanding of business model risk.
This is what you will be doing as a banking supervision specialist business model and profitability risk
Your role is to ‘follow the money’ and assess risks to the viability and sustainability of domestic and international banks. You will analyse, amongst others, the structure of the balance sheet, the profit and loss account, the business strategy, financial projections, and relevant developments in the business environment in order to assess the risks in the short and longer term. You will act both as an on-site supervisor as well as an internal DNB expert. You will participate in a range of on-site inspections and internal projects. On-site inspections at individual banks will take up most of your time. You will discuss matters at the highest level with the banks' senior management and management and supervisory board members. You will be working in project teams of varying composition, comprising DNB colleagues and other supervisors working with the ECB's Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM). You will contribute to the development of new assessment frameworks.
You will share your observations with the account supervisors and advise them on the appropriate supervisory strategy.
What exactly does your job involve?
- Conducting on-site inspections in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Assessing business model risk at banks based on on-site analyses, desk research, interviews, and financial modelling.
- Discussing your work at the highest level with the banks' management and supervisory board members, senior management, and other staff members. Probing further to identify and understand the underlying challenges.
- Providing independent expert advice to DNB’s account supervisors, SSM supervisors and DNB's Executive Board on business model-related matters and the necessary follow-up.
- Analysing and observing emerging trends (e.g. technological innovation/FinTech and sustainability/climate change) which may point towards new or emerging risks.
- Sharing your knowledge and observations with your DNB and SSM colleagues, to improve the effectiveness of Dutch and European business model supervision.
This is where you will be working
You will be based in Amsterdam, but your activities as a banking supervision specialist will also include frequent travel abroad. You will be working in the On-Site Supervision and Banking Expertise (OSBE) Division. We carry out our inspections at banks in the Netherlands and elsewhere in the EU and play an expert role for our other banking supervision divisions. You will be working in a team of 12 colleagues within the Business Models & Governance (BMG) department, our expert center for the business models, profitability and governance risk areas. Our working atmosphere is open, friendly and down-to-earth, and we work in project teams of varying composition. This means that we value cooperation and support each other.
Working for the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM)
DNB is an integral part of the SSM, composed of the European Central Bank and national competent authorities of 19 euro area countries. Working for the SSM comprises working for short periods of time abroad in the context of regular business travels, trainings or on-site visits, and for potentially longer periods during on-site inspections. This is an important characteristic of our jobs complemented by an environment in which wellbeing/work-life balance is enabled. Working for the SSM also implies collaborating in multi-national and -cultural teams and in the context of different national frameworks. Therefore a strong ability to use other EU working languages for business purposes is an asset.
This is what you will bring to us
At DNB you will be working together with other professionals with high-caliber skills and expertise. We need you to be decisive and rational, and have strong analytical skills. You must also have solid influencing and convincing skills. You are good at maintaining professional relationships and have a clear style of communication. You always remain critical, continue to ask questions and are able to hold your ground in difficult discussions. Your views and findings are always well-argumented.
What other competencies are we looking for?
- You have a University Master's degree in economics, finance, or another relevant field.
- You have at least three years of relevant work experience, e.g. in the area of business strategy or risk in the financial sector (banks, insurers, pension funds) or with a consultancy firm. Alternatively, you have research experience in the relevant areas.
- You have an excellent command of English both written and spoken. A sufficient command of Dutch is a plus. If you have no command of Dutch yet, you should be willing to learn the language quickly.
- You have a good feel for relationships and feel at ease in an intercultural environment.
- You do not have any problems with travelling frequently.
- You enjoy understanding and explaining the story behind financial data and are willing to work intensively with forecasting models and scenarios.
This is what we offer you
A 36-hour working week right at the heart of today's financial and economic current events. You will be working for a diverse, dependable and socially committed employer that always responds to the changing requirements of our environment and will never ceases to innovate. This will offer you a wealth of opportunities to develop and gain new experiences, both in the Netherlands and abroad. You will initially be working on a one-year contract, with the prospect of an extension, provided you have performed well and our organization has not undergone any changes that affect your job.
The other excellent terms and conditions of employment for this position are:
- A gross monthly salary between € 3.800 and € 5.900, based on a 36-hour working week. Among other things, the final salary will depend on your expertise and experience.
- A 13th monthly salary, and an 8% holiday allowance calculated on your 13-month salary.
- Your pension entitlements will accrue under a career-average scheme including provisional indexation, with a 6.1% employee contribution.
- Full reimbursement of your public transport commute.
- Additional benefits during on-site projects abroad based on ECB salary bands and allowances.
- Plenty of opportunities for professional and personal development through education and training.
- A healthy work-life balance. In this position, it is possible to divide your working week into 4 9-hour days.
On top of all of this, you will be working right in the center of Amsterdam, with excellent public transport connections. Depending on your position, you can also work from home part of the time, and we increasingly work according to agile methods.
Apply now! Because contributing to financial stability and sustainable prosperity... that is working at DNB
If working with an impact as a banking supervision specialist business model and profitability risk appeals to you, then do not wait but send us your job application straight away! Please send us your motivation letter and full cv no later than 29 November 2018. Do you have any questions before you apply? Just contact Willem Schudel (manager) via 06 2111 3790 or Martin Avans (recruiter) via 06 2913 9069 / firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to tell you what makes working for DNB unique.
Our assessment of candidates is a very careful process. For us as a reliable employer, this is only natural. We therefore ask you to complete an e-assessment and demonstrate your analytical skills in a writing test (case study) as part of our selection procedure.
This is a category 2a position, which means you are subject to a legal background check. The process also involves an online screening. You can find more information about the screening process here (information only available in Dutch).
The purpose of this vacancy is application, not acquisition.Reageer op deze vacature