Working for DNB, you will have an impact on financial stability and sustainable prosperity. You will study the business models of banks and the risks that could erode banks’ sustainable profitability. As an experienced supervisor, you will conduct on-site inspections at banks in the Netherlands and other European countries, contributing to sound and forward-looking supervision of the financial sector
This is what you will be doing as an experienced supervisor of business model risk in the banking sector
You will assess the business models of Dutch and European banks with respect to their viability in both the short and longer term. You will look into their sources of profitability, business strategies and financial projections in order to identify and assess the relevant risks to their business models. You are able to communicate your conclusions clearly to others and enjoy working with your colleagues on varying projects. This versatile position requires you to use your expertise and communicative skills to the full. You must be able to draw clear conclusions and give solicited and unsolicited advice.
As a specialist supervisor in a team of experts, you will conduct on-site inspections at various Dutch and European banks. You will make a project-based, thorough assessment of the specific risks to which the bank in question is exposed. Each new inspection presents its own unique problems, and your work environment will be varied and dynamic. You will be working with new people all the time, not only your stakeholders at the institutions, but also your colleagues at DNB and in the SSM. Inspections usually last two to three months, and you will partly work on-site at the institution and partly at DNB. You will initially act as a member of the project team. After you have gained sufficient experience, you will act as a project manager and first point of contact for the institution during an inspection. You will discuss matters at the highest level with the banks' senior management and management and supervisory board members. You will contribute to the development of new assessment frameworks.
What exactly does the position entail?
- You will conduct on-site inspections at various banks in a team of specialists. In most cases this will concern banks in the Netherlands and in some cases also banks in other European countries. You will review the bank's reports, hold interviews and prepare financial analyses.
- You will analyse your findings, draw critical conclusions, assess risks and prioritise them, and you will communicate and report clearly on this.
- You will keep your knowledge up to date and keep abreast of relevant developments. You will identify and analyse trends in the areas of e.g. technological innovation / FinTech and sustainability that may signal potential new risks.
- You will share your knowledge and observations with your DNB and SSM colleagues, to improve the effectiveness of Dutch and European business model risk supervision.
Your work environment
As an experienced business model risk supervisor, you will be based in Amsterdam but your activities will also include frequent travel abroad. You will be working in the On-Site Supervision and Banking Expertise (OSBE) Division. We carry out our inspections at banks in the Netherlands and elsewhere in the EU and play an expert role for our other banking supervision divisions. You will be working in a team of 12 colleagues within the Business Models & Governance (BMG) department, our expert centre for the business models, profitability and governance risk areas. Our working atmosphere is open, friendly and down-to-earth, and we work in project teams of varying composition. This means that we value cooperation and support each other.
You will be working for the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM)
the joint supervisory system of the European Central Bank (ECB) and the national competent authorities of the 19 euro area countries – which also includes DNB. Working for the SSM means that you will have to regularly travel abroad for training, on-site visits and other activities, and possibly also for longer periods during on-site inspections. This will be a characteristic element of the job, together with an environment that offers you a good work-life balance. Working for the SSM means working in multinational, multicultural teams and in various national and international partnership structures. Knowledge of other official EU languages besides Dutch and English would be a significant advantage.
At DNB you will be working together with other professionals with high-calibre skills and expertise. We need you to be decisive and rational, and have strong analytical skills. You must also have solid influencing and convincing skills. You are good at maintaining professional relationships and have a clear style of communication. You always remain critical, continue to ask questions and are able to hold your ground in difficult discussions. Your views and findings are always well-argumented.
What else are we looking for?
- You have a university-level Master's degree in economics, finance or another relevant field,
- with at least seven years of relevant work experience, e.g. in financial supervision, corporate strategy or risk, in the financial sector or at a strategy consultancy. Alternatively, you have research experience in the relevant areas.
- You have an excellent command of English, both written and spoken.
- You have a good feel for relationships and are at ease in an intercultural environment.
- You do not have any problems with travelling frequently.
- You are interested in the facts underlying the figures, and like to work with financial models and scenarios.
This is what we offer you
A 36-hour working week at the heart of today's financial and economic world. You will be working for a diverse, solid and socially committed employer which continually anticipates and responds to the changing requirements of the financial environment, and continues to innovate. This will offer you a wealth of opportunities to develop your professional skills and gain new experiences, both in the Netherlands and abroad. You will initially be granted an employment contract for one year, with the prospect of extension, provided your performance is satisfactory and there are no organisational changes. Other employment conditions accompanying this position are:
- A gross monthly salary of between EUR 4.500,- and EUR 7.000,- based on a 36-hour working week. Salary scale will be based on your knowledge and experience.
- A 13th monthly salary payment, and an 8% holiday allowance based on 13 months.
- Your pension entitlements will accrue under a career-average scheme including provisional indexation, with a 6.1% employee contribution.
- Full reimbursement of your public transport commuting costs.
- Supplemental allowances based on the ECB employment contract for international on-site inspections of foreign banks.
- Plenty of opportunities for professional and personal development through education and training.
- A healthy work-life balance. This position allows you to divide your 36-hour working week into four 9-hour days.
On top of all of this, you will be working in the centre of Amsterdam, with excellent access by public transport. Depending on your position, you will be allowed to work from home part of the time, and we increasingly work according to agile methods.
Why not apply now? After all, working at DNB means contributing to financial stability and sustainable prosperity
If having an impact as an experienced supervisor of business model risk in the banking sector appeals to you, then apply now. Please submit your motivation letter and full CV no later than May 8th, 2019. If you have any questions before applying, please contact Willem Schudel (manager) at +31 20 524 2711 or Martin Avans (recruiter) at +31 6 5249 6263 /firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to tell you what makes working for DNB so unique.
We follow a very careful process when assessing candidates. For us as a reliable employer, this is only natural. The selection procedure therefore includes an e-assessment, and we require you to demonstrate your analytical skills in a writing test (case study).
This is a category 2a position, which means you are subject to a criminal background check. The selection process may also involve online screening. You can find more information about the screening process here (available in Dutch only).
The information in this vacancy must not be used for marketing purposes.